Wednesday, 28 January 2009

Set back or triumph?

I suggest anyone unused to the ramblings of a not so balanced mind that can't sleep doesn't read the following.

AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

I nearly did something that I'm not meant to anymore. The ww thingy has helped a lot with the control aspects and life's not been stressful enough for it to be a major issue over the last 2 months. Getting back in to living in hotel rooms next week - well we'll just have to see how that goes. I was doing so well - I've said that before - but then I get upset over something that I should be able to deal with but cos MrT's away for a couple of days it all gets blown out of all proportion and all rational thinking goes out the window. I guess it's hard to have middle of the night hysteria when there's someone next to you snoring but he's away again - he had a medical appointment (it's complicated) back home and his family (and him to be fair) are very needy for attention - until I produce offspring I will not be on a level pegging with the rest.

Anyway the point is that I had a good old hairy half hour but I didn't do it! Does that count as a victory? I'm not suggesting anyone lines the Appian Way but still it's a small melee (not even a tussle really) that's been won and I guess it's like the cold war (might look like it's over but it's so not).

Why did I get upset in the first place? My parents sold their house last week and they're moving out on Friday - I lived there my whole life and haven't been back since November and now I never will. Silly really cos my Dad's had so many problems that I know he has to move out of the area to avoid seeing people (just seeing some people is enough to trigger a set of peaks and troughs like you've never seen). But it's still my home - this flat, windy place will never be my home so I'm feeling a smidge bereft and I'm not sure if I'm being childish or not.

I should be glad - I have what appears to be one of the few safe jobs in chemistry at the moment, I have a husband who's worked out how to empty the kitchen bin and we have a small house with a huge mortgage (it's still a house and it's ours - the banks really but they let us live here). Heck the world might be starting to become a better place - Obama actually seems to be human and he realises that science isn't alchemy to be avoided at all costs.

Things are good so I really have no right to cry over losing something that wasn't mine to lose.

2 comments:

Circe said...

I'm dreading the time when my parents have to sell their house. I too lived all my life until Uni there, and just thinking about it makes me want to cry. So I think dealing with it in any way is a triumph.

I hope the hotel room living is better than you expect.

JaneB said...

When my folks sold the family home, they were SO happy. They lived there 24 years, since just before I was born, and they didn't like the place, the neighbourhood, anything (plus had both been ill there), and were moving to a place they really like. My sister and I felt like they were making us homeless - we were so grieved it was stupid, and we couldn't really tell them about it because they were so damn happy. In a way it was worse for her because she lived within walking distance, never went to uni - I think she felt as if they were leaving her behind too, as if by not staying they were saying she wasn't as important as a place. I was just bereft - I was a grad student at the time, writing up, and things were unsettled enough without having no home to go to. I love my folks but I don't like the place they moved to, don't know it and don't know anyone there. It's not home. I feel like I have nowhere to run away to sometimes, it's horrible. Coping with it in any way is a triumph, it really is (I ate several king-size chocolate bars and my sister ate about half a salad the day they moved... and we both felt entirely justified in falling back on our preferred teenage coping mechanisms)