Tuesday, 14 July 2009

Sick Monkey Seeks Advice

I've spent the last day of our holiday at home moving slowly between the bed and the bathroom - that's the 3rd time I've picked up a sickness etc. bug when I've visited the inlaws. The wee ones are fab but they carry more disease than rats! Apart from that the hol was fab (still can't roll my kayak though) but I did overcome my massive phobia of sharks and played in the sea.

Still no news either way about the job but I'm getting seriously panicky now - hoping I'll hear tomorrow when I'm back at work. I'm going to have to be stupendously ill to not make it to work tomorrow.

An unfortunate side effect of this bug is lots of wrenched stomach and back muscles so not sure if I'm going to manage my 10km race on Sunday :(

Advice - Having returned from this year's rather cheap holiday (we did also double glaze our WHOLE house) we've started looking at a big (and if I'm honest pre-baby) holiday next year. Yes I'm so organised I've even planned that. Anyhew I've got friends moving to Canberra in a few weeks and a friend postdoccing in NZ so our first idea was to visit them. Realisitically even though we got some money from my Grandad's will for travelling it'll never be enough even if we save like crazy and we've got MrT's best friend's wedding so we need to save some cash for that. Also everyone goes to Oz/NZ and there's just too much to see in too little time and we'd spend half the time travelling.

Soooooooo...we've decided on Canada. We've agreed that if we're honest we'd both rather visit Canada than Oz anyway. I've always wanted to go there and this is the perfect chance. We've ordered the Lonely Planet Canada Guide today but we were hoping that someone somewhere might be able to give us some advice about what to see/where to go. We like hills/mountains, walking, kayaking and bears. We wouldn't mind visiting a couple of cities but we're not really city people. It'll be pretty budget ish but a step up from student days and we can probably do 2-2.5 weeks. Any pointers on the best times to go would be fab too.

Those painkillers I took about 45min ago have kicked in - maybe the race will be on afterall!

2 comments:

Circe said...

Hope you're feeling better.

I'd suggest Vancouver and/or Vancoouver Island, May or June (before the weather gets too hot). September is OK too but some things are starting to close. You can do some fantastic Kayaking in the sea, plenty mountains and beautiful isolated beaches (places like: Tofino, Ucluelet, Sunshine coast). I don't know if you read VWXYNot but she's into kayaking around Vancouver: http://www.vwxynot.blogspot.com/.
For bears - Grouse Mountain (and the Grouse Grind) - which is a short bus, water bus and bus ride from downtown.
The YWCA runs a hotel in downtown Vancouver that does good rates on rooms (and it is pretty central). It feels a wee bit like a student residence but was pretty decent when our friends and family stayed there. www.canadianaffair.com can offer good flight-hotel-car packages. It's possible to see a good bit of Vancouver and the surrounding area without a car.
If you're into camping there are a few companies that let you hire an car/SUV kitted out with tent and all the camping stuff - much easier than hauling your own kit from the UK. Our friends did that two years ago up the sunshine coast (North of Vancouver).

Marmoset said...

Thanks PD that website's awesome.