Thursday, 16 July 2009

Tales of the unexpected

They're not giving me the job

They're giving me a better job

This is good

I will now start to punctuate - sorry!

In short and without too much detail there's a really groovy and harder and more scientific and much more interesting part of our organisation which has always been run as a little kingdom from our central mother ship office. Since the majority of said mother ship staff are meant to be moving to our freakishly symmetrical outpost most of them are leaving (apparently life outside the big smoke is unthinkable for many) lots of things are changing. Anyhew this little kingdom is being moved dept into the one that I wanted to work in and they want me to bring it back into the fold. Yes it will mean dealing with some supremely stroppy old scientists who hate the organisation but I will bring them within the walls kicking and screaming if I have to (if we give them cash they'll bloody well do as they're told - I have a good Guide Leader voice which usually works). It probably won't start until end of Semester 1 so still uni visits to do but I will hopefully getting a couple of months (the busy ones) crossover with my replacement (poor sod) to train them. It'll be good for me to train someone else and it should make the job less stressful for them. I don't mind the prospect of doing another term of uni visits now since I organise them so I'll make sure I get to visit the uni's I have friends in other places I want to go. Apparently they can see that I'm commited to the organisation and it's overall goals and strategies so they really want to keep me - long term this is good for me and my cv. Also since it sounds like the other thing might be a bit buggered this is way better and I still get to go to real proper science events!

Sometimes you just know the big boss is totally in control!

Also I managed 4.2km run which given that I still haven't eaten much and was running with a cramping stomach (relic of illness me thinks) isn't too shabby which is good as I'm doing my first proper 10km race on Sunday.

My parents are arriving early Sat am and I'm out at a friends for dinner tonight and kayaking with rangers tomorrow night so I have to shower, clean the kitchen and bathroom now.

1 comment:

Circe said...

Congratulations! And about time they realised how good you are!