Monday, 21 September 2009

Oops

Visited BIG university today. Spoke to new first year (120). Got told off by academic afterwards for cracking a joke about his area of chemistry - apparently students already dislike it and my attitude will put them off more and then they'll fail their whole degree (and it'll be all my fault). OK he didn't say the last in () bit but the implication was totally there. Yes I will refrain from similar comments in the future and yes it's the sort of crack that's ok for industry/postgrads and I will remember to be good. But seriously it was a bloody joke and the students are not dumb enough to think otherwise. I'm sure his students do struggle with his area but perhaps that's because of the crappy maths education in this country?

Grrrrrrrrrrrr - on the other hand the uni contact did hug me as soon as I arrived (I'm not a huggy person but it's nice to feel missed).

No comments: