Monday, 22 February 2010

Thinking Day

Added thankful thingy:

Today is Thinking Day. It's the birthday of Sir Robert Baden-Powell and it is the day when all women involved in Girl Guiding in it's various guises around the world celebrate Guiding and each other. Girl Guiding is the largest women's organisation in the world. It's a safe place for women of all ages and backgrounds to come together regardless of religion, politics or money to work together, achieve as much as we can, improve the world and generally have fun. Guiding is different in every country and the variations depend on local culture and needs. The one thing that doesn't change is the education on womens rights to healthcare, education and equality. Guiding is always about friendship and women achieving anything they can regardless of gender. I know that all sounds a bit serious but even in the UK I know for a fact that the girls I've worked with over the years behave in a way and talk about things that they would never do in front of boys their age. It's always great to find out the wide variety careers and backgrounds of other leaders as we come from all walks of life and it's fantastic that the girls have role models who can inspire them. Many of my friends I would never have met without Guiding (including MrT). It's Sally's funeral on Friday this week and I know there will be a massive Guiding turn out all in uniform in her memory.

No matter where I go in the world there will always be friends in Guiding waiting for me.

No comments: