Sunday, 12 December 2010

Did I say I enjoyed wrapping presents?

I really am not a huge fan of present wrapping - it's something that has to be done for Christmas so I do it. At no point have I expressed any joy or excitement at the prospect of wrapping a tonne of presents to be sent in the post. It appears that I must come appear to love the choosing, buying (ok online only) and wrapping of presents as it seems to be mostly my job. The fact that the majority (~75%) of the presents we buy are for MrT's family is irrelevant. He tired wrapping one and declared it wasn't working (wrapping a box I had already gift wrapped in a plastic bag for posting) then got huffy when I said I'd do it. I'm not sure he actually knows what we got all his siblings, nephews, nieces and step-nieces but I'm sure he's not really that bothered. We spent money on them and in his family that's what matters. Actually thinking about presents is wrong! There should be a list everyone should adhere to the list and nobody should at any point actually consider what anyone might actually like. One of my brother's in law has now acquired a girlfriend to do all of his Christmas shopping for him whilst the other is getting divorced and having to do his own for the first time ever - it'll be interesting.

I realise that as a perfectly normal and capable woman I could just say "do the Christmas shopping for your lot and I'll do mine" but then we would end up spending £20-50 on each present (there are 10 adults and 5 kids to buy for on his side) and as it would come out of my savings as well I don't fancy it being wasted on people the majority of whom won't give a crap about what we get them. There will be lots of fawning "oh it's lovely" but with no real feeling or acting ability. I know I sound like a right scrooge but this is the only place I can whinge. MrT appears to still be sulking over the wrapping but as I have spent my weekend cleaning and sorting out his family's Christmas and he spent his days off last week watching Star Trek I don't really care.

Bugger I've just realised we haven't really done anything for my folks - arse!

3 comments:

Circe said...

My family went through a phase like that where everyone had to be seen to be spending money but with little thought. Then I moved to Canada. One of my cousins that year posted out a candle ornament that costs about 19 quid to post to Canada. That was the point I realised how daft it all was!
Anyways, it sounds frustrating.

Marmoset said...

Ach well it's all done now. Don't think I'd mind except he was just twatting around on his netbook while I did it! I think I find it hard because my family just do "silly" presents - things which you see that would suit the person but might only be £5. I'm dreading taking the 9 parcels to the post office. Still the silver lining is that I don't have to visit them until 2011 :)

JaneB said...

Yeah, I remember my college housemate's fiance's disappointment on learning that she had no intention of writing all his Christmas cards for him. He kept muttering "but it's what wives do..."