Explanation 1: I travel a LOT for work visiting scientific institutions but this week I'm only doing day visits. Unfortunately living in East Anglia that means mainly London visits.
I started the day in a rush (forgot to get cash for car parking yesterday etc) but managed to get to the village with station in time for my train (7am). Changed trains at Old University City which involved me battling on to the main commuter train of the day with a large bag and a big stand in a case. Apparently the trick is to all push towards the train doors in a scrum and I assume bite, kick and scratch to get a seat. Didn't take part in the scrum so didn't manage to get a seat but enough room to sit on the floor - until Stevenage where the train got crazy busy (as in no personal space at all and people glaring at me for having a cough and luggage). There was the usual funky girl with waaaay too loud mp3 and suited/brief cased people frowning at everyone. I was intrigued by the guy writing tonnes of emails on his Bramble (how do you use a qwerty that small?).
My contact today was really nice and helpful - arranged for me to speak to a couple of year groups. 3rd years v.v. serious and 1st years 1/3 serious, 1/3 glaring and 1/3 giggling. The usual amount of people trying to lie/cheat free stuff off me and the arrogant (I'm exist therefore I'm entitled to take what I want) lot. One PhD student (final year) with crazy posh accent who didn't seem to know what he was doing with his life and didn't even appear to understand why he was doing a PhD?! All the staff were nice though and no major harrassment or rudeness.
I can never work out if the snotty ones are just aloof or if they think they're better than me because they think I'm a salesperson and not a scientist. I'm beginning to think it's my old persecution complex returning and the fact that I'm actually disappointed at the way my career turned out. I was once in the arrogant org synth bunch (I think I was nice to people that weren't though) so maybe I'm turning my old prejudices against myself.
Maybe if I get another job (not sales and marketing) I'll stop being disappointed in myself but maybe being a real chemist in a lab can't be replaced.
Ach well I got home (in the rain) now time to wake up Mr O (night shift) and persuade him to cook dinner!
A why and an eavesdropping and a brief update
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment