Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Feminism?

Whilst the minor spat between Dr Isis and Zuska is amusing I don't get the whole feminism craziness that I'm slowly discovering online.

As I've not hidden very well I work for a large science organisation mostly dominated by old men but we (a number of women <30 yrs) are trying to change things slowly from the inside. We're not trying to change it because we're all female we're just doing it to make things better for all our members (we just happen to have a lot of younger women in our dept). We talk about shoes but we also talk about books, politics, science and how to make the world a better place through science.

As for the whole sisterhood bollocks I've been screwed over by as many women as men in the chemistry world. Also older male scientists are scared of heels and skirts (not that my heels are very high-can't do very high heels and I walk a lot so they have to be comfy).

It's not just in science though as I've realised that I get more filthy looks from both male and female cyclists if I cycle to work in a skirt and heels. Men get pissy if I overtake them dressed like a girl and women just seem to disapprove. It's not like I'm flashing my knickers I just can't be bothered to get totally changed when I get to work. Perhaps they're glaring at my laziness.

I'm just ranting in general so feel free to ignore me.

No comments: