Sunday, 16 August 2009

Those mysterious ways we've all heard about.

Last week ended up kinda weird. We had our big quarterly team meeting/fight on Friday. It's never nice and almost always starts off with at least 2 staff gunning for a fight. So this time...

I arrived as usual just before 8am and my boss was already there. He asked to speak to me in private before our meeting so we went into one of the empty offices. He then proceeded to say that he had behaved horribly towards me and everyone else since January and apologised for his over reaction when he went mental at me a few months ago. He explained that he's been waking up really angry for no particular reason since January and he had been taking it out on us as well as not being very nice at home. He's talked it out with his wife and finally admitted that it all started when his father died in January. I was really impressed that he told me all of this and apologised because that takes a hell of a lot of guts. When our colleague arrived in usual fighting mode he had a private chat (I assume similar to mine) with her and she calmed down a lot. Our meeting was chilled and relaxed and we got loads done. Everyone was friendly and nice - it was kinda like stepping into an alternate universe which I think and hope is the way it's going to stay.

So there you go - just goes to show that people are sometimes nasty for a reason. I'm not saying his reason was good or right but he had stuff happening that we didn't know about and now he's sorted it out things should be better.

I do wonder if, horrible as it was, it had to happen to get the other managers to see my potential for this new role (might be happening by Christmas). So mysterious or otherwise it all happened for a reason - it's good to know someone's in charge.

2 comments:

JaneB said...

It's good to be reminded sometimes that other people's actions sometimes aren't much to do with us, and more about them! I'm impressed with your boss' bravery and decency - hope this is a genuine, lasting turning point.

DrL said...

wow, I am impressed that your boss was able to admit that his behaviour was bad and to dig into himself to analyse why he was angry. Finally some adult and thoughtful behaviour. It must be a relief for you after the last several months! Let's hope the improvement is permanent :-)