Monday, 17 November 2008

Cloak of Invisibility

So my brother looks like Harry Potter and it seems I borrowed his cloak today. I was at VIU(Very Important University) all day and probably 90% of people pretended they couldn't see me. Now believe me I get this a lot but this is the worst it's ever been. I realise that a degree from VIU will open a lot of doors but these people don't seem to get that such a lack of social skills will come across in interviews and nobody wants to share a lab with an arrogant smug git. Of the 90% who wouldn't look at me about half wanted to see what was on the table and ready my stand but they wouldn't look directly at me. I also got a lot of "not a member, not interested" which was not hostile in itself but again strikes me as arrogant given that I would bet a hell of a lot that most of them don't know even half of what my organistion does. Still they're at VIU so they can treat me (obviously a lower being) as they wish.

It's hard not to take it personally and I know people who have come from VIU and one on one they're normal but en masse they seem to honestly belive that they own the world. Admittedly some of them are hilarious sterotypes. Seriously you just know their background as soon as they open their mouths and I feel bad that I actually jusdge them for it. To be honest some of the uber-posh ones were actually quite pleasant.

Still I guess it takes all kinds and in the world of chemical science since I dropped out of lab work I'm now in the underclass of scientists.

No comments: