I'm up North (West of Scotland) and it's freeeeeeezing. Seriously I'm such a Southern Softie now (pardon my bigotry). Had a good visit to a tiny (really it's minute) dept today and although it's really small the people are so nice and welcoming. The students are unlikely to ever win a Nobel Prize but they're all normal and genuine people who just want to work hard and learn. Sometimes I realise my Russell Group education has really skewed my view of other people's academic worth. I'm not saying that I believe all Chem depts are equal in research or teaching but I do think some people seem to thrive in a smaller more close community kind of atmosphere. Perhaps the big universities are good for international research/big names but not for everyone. Think I'll ponder a bit more rather than burbling and wait til I have longer internet access.
No comments:
Post a Comment