Monday, 5 January 2009

Day 1

Survived day 1 in the office, survived cycling to work in the snow, survived cycling home on ice when my gears decided to have a nervous breakdown - all in all survived. Also showed that my new panniers are waterproof and don't fall off.

It turns out that day 1 at work of the new year is a pretty good time to get academics to communicate. If I'm honest it's the ones that are nice but usually very busy who are hard to get hold of that I managed to pin down today. I suppose the festive break is the main break in the UK academic year where nobody's working and academics won't return from holiday to an inbox full of student emails.

I did get one interesting response from the Head of Dept of an internationally renowned institution A with whom I had had much correspondence pre-Christmas and who asked me to email him today. His response to my query about meeting on either Monday xth or Tuesday yth was:


He replied:

Yo!!

What month??

Prof ?

Now was it unprofessional of me to fall about laughing at my computer when I received that or did I do something wrong? Our previous chat had been very informal and he's well known within the organisation. I almost feel like I should call him Dude when I meet him.

Well it brightened up my day!

No comments: