I have a problem - I love to bake, cook and generally make stuff. Making cakes is simple and satisfying and other people like them (I like making other people happy - nothing to do with anxiety, honest!). Thing is I don't really eat cake. I used to but various things that happened mean that I'm not really into cake now and it means that I have to tell people I don't like cake otherwise they get suspicious of the frequent appearances of cake that I won't eat.
When it comes to food I'm what many people refer to as "special" - multiple allergies and intolerances and a preference for oatcakes over chocolate (Sorry I know that offends some people). I used to eat ice cream but I think that's because I thought I was meant to. I do like ice cream and once in a while is good but not Bridget Jones sitting in front of the telly type eating of it.
MrT and I are attempting (along with the rest of the western/overeating culture part of the world) to be more healthy. We're trying to well known watchingweight thing with the points system. To begin with I wasn't going to do it because I have a bad history with most food/eating related matters but I'm totally immersed now and it's not going well. I'm eating the same as I was before just smaller portions of certain foods and larger of others (more cereal, less meat). The problem is that I'm struggling to eat the number of points that I'm meant to a day (as in I can't seem to eat enough). I'm not saying I'm not hungry just before lunch but I actually don't mind being hungry so that's not a problem.
This seems to be irrelevant as I appear to be losing weight anyway which is in itself a problem (I should point out that as I'm not away for work I'm exercising more too). No I'm not insane the point of this whole thing was to lose weight. My problem is that when I get thinner people say I look good and I have a real issue with the thinner=better looking idea. My dept is 90% female some very thin, some very not and everything in between but they all have this thing that thin=good*. I hate people telling me I look good cos I lost weight. They don't seem to have any concept of the impact such comments can have. AAAAAAAAAaaaarrrrgh - this is something I should not have started talking about - sorry. I just wish people would think before they speak. I have a f'n PhD in a totally obscure (but was hard) area of chemistry and all they care about is my dress size!
Aaaand relax - vent over!
*I realise that I seem quite hypocritical here but in my defense my issue with losing weight is a fitness thing - I want to be better at climbing again, I want to start kayaking on the local river when it's above freezing and I miss jogging.
A why and an eavesdropping and a brief update
4 years ago
1 comment:
I hear you on the comments about thin = good. I mean, for me, thinnER would equal good, but I still find comments hard to cope with - you mean people were LOOKING AT ME and THINKING ABOUT MY WEIGHT and JUDGING ME and... aargh.
Post a Comment