Friday, 16 January 2009

Seriously people?

**Update** I just got slated in Propter Doc's comments (not by her but one of her commenters). Apparently I, as a Christian, should be standing up for my "brother". Firstly I get really pissy when people tell me what I should/shouldn't believe/do. Secondly I don't care if I share the same pigeon-hole title as someone else in the faith category it doesn't mean I have to agree with them being intolerant of other people's beliefs. I know that the bus adverts are really just there to piss of the Christian right but at the end of the day this is what athiests belive and I don't see why we shouldn't respect their right to have a belief different to ours. Thirdly I also think the Christian right are a pain in the ass and are hideously intolerant of everyone but their self-righteous selves (I realise this makes me intolerant of them before anyone points it out).



A Christian bus driver has refused to drive a bus with an atheist slogan proclaiming "There's probably no God". - BBCnews

WTF! Between that and that crazy group that keep claiming to represent the whole Christian world with their archaic and small minded views I think I understand why atheists think we're all nuts.

I have had to fight for my right to have my own beliefs for as long as I remember. i used to have a postdoc who's mother had died when he was young. He seemed to blame the church and therefore me. Usually a couple of times a year he'd lay into me which the rest of the boys would join in on.

To clarify - I WILL NOT pretend that I don't go to church just to fit in but that's all I tell people. I don't bound up to people clutching a tambourine saying that I'm off to Church on Sunday and would they like to come but if someone asks what I'm doing/done at the weekend I won't gloss over my church attendance. I never discuss my faith unless asked. I have no proof apart from experiences which quite frankly are nobody's business but my own. I have no desire to convert anyone to Christianity and I have wonderful friends of other faiths (atheism incl.).

I didn't do the whole CU thing at uni (many were incredibly hypocritical and judgmental).

In short - aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Rant over - this guy's employers are trying to accomodate him and did not need to go to the press.

1 comment:

Circe said...

Yeah that commenter was an idiot. I don't think he'll be back. (I threatened to eat him for breakfast). I couldn't believe that he picked on you and not the other people. And he used brothwr?