Monday, 9 February 2009

They shouldn't get to me but...

I went back to a Northerly University today. It's the second time I've been there and again the academic contact was really good. He's one of the grumpy ones but I think he's great cos he's really helpful and kind and organised. Loads of students were lovely to me and one even gave me an orange cos I was so cold and hungry.

BUT...there was one student who quite frankly was an arrogant little tosser. I remember him from my last visit and he was just as obnoxious. I know it shouldn't bother me but he was just soooo convinced that his being rude to me was hilarious - he got a bit pissy when his mates listened to what I said and were nice to me. I even had staff commenting to me that he was an arrogant little child and that he was the same with them. I know that I should think about the 50 or so people who were very nice to meet today but it just really got to me. Perhaps because I know that even though he will always fail the attitude test his self-importance will get him a loong way in the world of Chemistry? Perhaps I'm just remembering the similar folks from uni who lied to get extensions on every assignment and skipping labs while I worked my ass off? Or perhaps I've just had enough of people treating me like crap cos they think I have a crappy job?

2 comments:

DrL said...

Him treating you like crap does not have anything to do with the kind of job you do, nor anything to do with you.

Maybe he is jealous, that's why he feels the need to show off in fron of others? ;-)

You are right to be angry at him, you do not deserve to be treated this way, no one does!

And I wonder if it is too late for this guy to change, maybe it that no one ever challenged him at his uni (none of his lecturers)...

Let's hope that he will not get anywhere in chemistry, because no one likes to work with people like that.

But maybe he will change? I knew one lecturer who was a Superstar, very fast career, he got to be a professor very young, and he was very arrogant. He has actually changed his attitude now, he had a child and mellowed down and is now making concious effort to be, I don't know how to say it, "less bastardy"? ;-) So people can change.

Hope that someone challenges that guy in his future and teaches him some humility!

JaneB said...

It's very hard to ignore the little so-and-sos with attitude problems. The problem is all his - I find telling myself that helps. Sometimes! But it's hard to call them out on it, especially if you aren't in a position of any power in relation to him. Very frustrating!