Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Friends on their terms...

It's MrT's birthday next week which we're celbrating by going rapid running at the national watersports centre. A couple who are very nice but live in another financial bracket in our village offered to cook dinner the day before his birthday so that they could celebrate his birthday. As I say they are very nice and well meaning but they're both quite posh and the female is very used to getting her own way. As I understand it she's bipolar but she seems to use that to get what she wants. She a very large, blustery type who works in government and normally what she says goes. She asked me to make her a birthday cake for her do next month then proceeded to dictate every detail. I figure it's her cake so that's fine. Unfortunately she also seems to think she could dictate what I made for MrT too - this is not happening. I deal with a bully all day at work and I'm not about to be bullied into following her orders in my social life. MrT really didn't want to go to theirs for his birthday dinner so I emailed today to say thank you for the kind offer but he's decided to have a bbq at our house to which they are invited. I've invited a few folks to the bbq and it looks like it'll be fun but I think it means I'm in her bad books now. She's the sort who knows everything and if you've done it then she's an expert.

I should point out that if we had dinner at theirs it would only be them and us and none of MrT's other friends could come. His BF might be working in the area that day and if he is then he'll be coming - if we were eating at theirs he couldn't come.

Am I being horrible by declining their offer. Perhaps I'm just riled that she wants to plan MY husband's birthday.

1 comment:

DrL said...

"Am I being horrible by declining their offer."

Not at all.

I like that you refused and choose what you prefer, instead of obliging to the social norm! Enjoy the celebrations!