OK so it's only the 2nd day in a row to the Big City and I'm going to a scientific meeting today (yippee!). I don't have to get the 06:30 train for once so life is good. Yesterday I managed to run from the main station to our office in the morning and back in the evening. I've only done it a couple of times before but the freezing air and lack of recent running made the last couple of weeks really painful. Yesterday's run was good so I'm feeling inspired again so there's the aim of lots of running over the Christmas period.
MrT and I planned our entire menu until 3rd Jan on Monday. This may seem daft and more than a little bit odd but we both hate food shopping especially at this time of year. All the shopping got done on Monday evening when it was quite quiet. Now we've just got to pop in on 23rd and 30th to get fresh veggies and fruit. In our defense we normally plan a week ahead for a menu but we're thinking that we might do the month thing from now on. We've definitely saved money and we know that we're not going to be eating the same stuff all month - when I was at uni I lived of vegetables and pasta for most of the time so I like variety now.
Most people think I'm a bit of a Humbug when it comes to Christmas but I just don't like the tat that goes along with it. Christmas is awesome - main reason is obvious - and having the extra time off is great. I don't do traditional Christmas food and I've kind of imposed that on MrT. We're having a glazed ham (cooked by me on 24th after work) on Christmas day before MrT goes to work (he's working all through Christmas - oh to be married to a public servant). I fully intend to have macaroni cheese for dinner on the 25th which many people seem to find abhorent - for the record I LOVE macaroni cheese and I don't have it often due to the sheer unhealthiness of it so for me it a big treat.
In short over the Christmas period MrT and I will be eating stuff we like and the rest of the turkey touting world can just bugger off.
Present-wise all our families are getting hampers containing:
Plum jam, plum chutney, raspberry jam, apricot jam, bramble and apple jam, mango chutney, chilli oil, plum vodka and some tablet - all homemade.
Not sure everyone'll like it but the important ones will love it. Also the plum vodka is awesome (I say this as a confirmed non-vodka drinker who's just changed her mind).
Anyhew I'm off to the Big City to listen to talks which I probably won't understand.
A why and an eavesdropping and a brief update
4 years ago
1 comment:
I can't decide whether to make tablet this year. I love it, but can't eat more than a few squares before the sugar shock makes me loopy! I do find that my colleagues love it (particularly the Scottish one...). Perhaps I should make it and give it as gifts this year...Hmmmmm!
Have a great Christmas and I think mac and cheese is an awesome meal for the 25th!
Post a Comment