Friday, 15 January 2010

Super High Horrid Low

Today was very good and very bad.

My big bro (Phd, postdoc and nearly 1 yr unemployed) got a job for big company doing proper chem. This is awesomely good as he was seriously getting deeper and deeper into a bad spiral of crud. He is getting to move somewhere with mountains (one of his favourite things) and he gets to do science.

The very bad thing? My best mate called to let me know that his dog had been hit by a bus and killed. As a non-animally person this should not have affected me - it did. He and his girlfriend (collectively to be known as C2) loved this dog like a child and I can't blame them. It takes a lot to make him cry and he doesn't let many people know it happens which I guess is why he called me. I'm the one he calls when any big life changing thing happens and he's the one I call. I'm a teddy bear person (I don't care if it's sad) not an animally one (allergic) but he was a great dog and even I fell for him. There are 2 heartbroken people up in Mother Country tonight and it will take a very long time for them to heal. He got them through a whole pile of shit - living hundreds of miles apart, major family illnesses etc.

This is a sad day when something good also happened. Is it bad that my bro's good fortune is overshadowed by a dog? (In case I didn't make it clear he was an awesome dog)

No comments: