Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Espresso?

So apparently milk expressed in the morning is the equivalent of espresso so giving a baby expressed morning milk in the evening will keep them awake and giving them expressed evening milk during the day will make them sleepy?!

There is practically no information about exclusive expressing feeding available. I've found an iVillage community which is good and there is a single book available which I've now ordered. So now I know it can be done. The reason it's such a mystery is that nobody thinks anyone would possibly want to. The thing is that I need to express 8 times a day until Ziggy is 12 weeks old - so that's every 3 hours (including 00:00, 03:00 and 06:00) for the next 11 weeks. There's no way of knowing just yet what Ziggy's feed routine will be so it's not possible to guarantee matching up the 2 schedules so we'll have to wait and see how we go. We're starting to read her signals a bit better now and as we find out more about the milk situation this might be more manageable.

Overall it's all a bit overwhelming which is why I haven't made 24 hours without ending up in tears but hopefully it will all get a bit easier soon. I may even be calm enough eventually to write about all the bloody breastfeeding propaganda. Still we're going to a feeding workshop tomorrow to see if we can convince her to latch on...

No comments: